Saturday, June 25, 2016

Broken Gears

I've had a Central Machinery 7x10 Mini Lathe for years. It's been very helpful in making little parts. I'm no machinist, just enough a of a hacker to get things done most of the time. Years ago, I broke teeth off the low speed gear and I have been just living with the lathe running in the high speed selection. Now the high speed side is chattering on me and it's time to find the gears and learn more about how to take care of it. I take pictures of things I take apart so that I know how to put them back together. I will put them up here in case that someone else has to take one of these apart. It really came apart much easier than I expected.

I bought parts from The Little Machine Shop, http://littlemachineshop.com. Really liked the experience. They had the parts I needed and lots of extra toys. I was able to purchase steel gears as opposed to the Nylon or ABS gears that were in the lathe. The lathe really cuts nicely once again.


































Replacement gears are available through the The Little Machine shop, http://littlemachineshop.com, along with a lot of other goodies. It's really cool they have parts for this old cheap lathe and they shipped really quickly.

More random pictures of the lathe reassembly in case I need to do this again.






















No comments:

Post a Comment